As I mentioned in my last post, I have begun reflecting on the past year and setting some personal goals for 2017. I made a list of things I’d like to accomplish this year and how I’d like to get there. Making the list is easy, but none of these things will happen if I don’t come up with a specific plan on how I’m going to get there.
The exercising part, I feel like I have down. It’s as addictive as crack cocaine, so once you start doing it, you’re good. There are those days that I don’t want to do anything. I’ve had a couple of those days lately. However, I’ve never had a time that I went for a run or to the gym and later thought, “Gee, I wish I hadn’t done that.” I know if I make myself just go and do it that I’ll feel better afterwards.
Unfortunately, sugar and carbs are also just as addictive as crack cocaine. I do not believe that I have a good handle on that part of the equation. I probably do 75% of the time, but the social gatherings, holidays, and special dinners really blow me out of the water. There’s been plenty of times with food that I’ve thought, “Gee, I wish I hadn’t done that.” This year I want to come up with a plan so that those times are fewer and fewer, even non-existent.
Below is my list of things to work on for 2017. This list is not in any particular order. Some of these things I’m already doing and I just need to continue with. Some of these things I’ve done in the past, and I need to pick them up again. Some of these things, like the social events, I need to come up with a plan and keep trying until I find something that works.
What are your goals for 2017?
- Run a 10K: Sign up, train, just do it!
- October: There is a destination race that I plan to go to.
- Couch to 5K Group: Do it again this year with an eye on improving myself and encouraging Cinderella who also wants to do the program.
- Exercise 5-6 days a week: Schedule (that means put it on the calendar) a run or workout everyday. Go to the gym if the weather prohibits outdoor running. Sunday: walk in the afternoon if nothing else. Keep a log.
- Get a grip on social events: Make a written plan to adhere to before the event. Share it with someone else attending the event that will help keep me on track. Or consider bringing my own food (salad in a jar?).
- Vacation/holiday: Create a written menu plan for vacations.
- Quiet time: First thing everyday. One verse if nothing else.
- Lose 50 lbs: Log, log, log everything that goes into my mouth. Drink lots of juice. I am already signed up for a 30 day juicing challenge starting January 5.
- Read more books: No screen time until I have read at least one chapter in a book.
- Less screen time: Read more books.
- Chi Running: Work on figuring this thing out.
- Review this list, reassess, and adjust monthly. Set a calendar reminder.
4 thoughts on “Making my List; Checking it Twice”
How did your goals go for 2017?
That is for another post!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’ll look forward to reading it! 🙂